Name: Fiona Cappabianca
Position Sought: Board of Education
Address: 3 Stoneridge Drive
Experience: 9 years on the Torrington Board of Education, Former Chair of the PTOC the citywide group of PTO’s, Former President of the Forbes School PTO and Secretary of Torrington High School PTO, Former Vice Chair of the Juvenile Diabetes Connecticut and Massachusetts Chapter, Co-Chair of Walk to Cure Diabetes Litchfield County, Chair of Lynne’s Christmas Wishes that provides holiday gifts to local families that have a parent that is terminally ill with cancer.
Current Positions Held: Chair – Torrington BOE, Former Chair of Budget, Former Chair of Administrator Negotiations, Member of Grievance Former Chair
Occupation: Pension Consultant
Family: Husband, Steve; three daughters that have all attended the Torrington Public Schools.
I am honored to have been elected twice by a unanimous vote to serve as Board Chair for the Torrington Board of Education. In this role, I have dealt with the complex challenges that our district faces. Collaboratively with the Board members, I am prepared to continue to make these tough decisions in order to ensure a sustainable future. It is important that we continue to provide our students with the high-quality academic education they deserve and to maintain the excellent music, fine arts, theatre and athletics programs that give so many of our young people a chance to thrive.
Our schools are the backbone of our community. They directly impact the day-to-day quality of our life in Torrington and determine the future of our students as well as our city. As Board Chair, I have always felt strongly that all of our students need to be prepared for the opportunities a good education our schools will prepare them for after graduation. We are beginning to move forward in a positive direction in our district. To ensure this growth will be sustained, I want to continue to serve on the Torrington Board of Education.
There are many things in our schools that all members of our community can be proud of. I am running for re-election, because there are contributions I can continue to make as our district and community work together to face our challenges and resolve outstanding issues.
Specifically, the on-going challenges include:
- Balancing limited funds with district-wide needs as we continue to pursue financial policies which provide the community the best return for its investment in their schools
- Ensuring every student is on a path to graduate and has the educational tools to succeed after graduation
- Lessening the impact of costly “unfunded mandates” imposed by the state on the schools without providing the funding necessary to implement them
- Providing safe and secure learning and working environments
- Assuring necessary resources for our students struggling with learning disabilities
- Bringing some of our outplaced Special Education students back to programs in their home schools and community
- Continuing to examine what we are doing right and what we need to change to keeps students from leaving our district
- Continuing to analyze what our staff needs to be better equipped to do their jobs by investing
in support staff and professional development
- Continuing to analyze the resources needed to address behavioral and mental-health issues
- Building upon existing community partnerships to provide enrichment and support for our students without using taxpayer funded money
- Developing a solid Facility and Maintenance Plan
I hope you will support me with your vote on November 5th.